MICHAEL DOTSON’s large-scale acrylic paintings investigate luxury and fantasy in impossible spaces, referencing the simulated world of video games with a saturated color palette and an abundance of crisp, straight lines. The paintings are visually arresting, but decidedly un-sensual, emphasizing, the “dichotomy between the interaction and detachment prevalent in virtual reality.” Michael Dotson lives in Brooklyn, NY
American University, Washington DC.
● MFA, Studio Art.
Cleveland Institute of Art, Cleveland Ohio.
● BFA, Painting.
● X-Centric. Geoffrey Young Gallery, Great Barrington, MA.
● Conventional Wisdom. Delicious Spectacle, Washington DC.
● Black Foliage. Nudashank Gallery, Baltimore, MD.
● New Future. Circuit12 Contemporary, Dallas, TX.
● Fearless Viewing. RK Projects, Providence, RI.
● Potential Images. 1708 Gallery, Richmond, VA.
● Dream Continuum. Circuit12 Contemporary, Dallas, TX.
● Spindles. Kinfolk Studios, Brooklyn, NY.
● Academy 2011. Connor Contemporary Art, Washington, DC.
● Developmental Skills. Holtzman Gallery, Towson University, Towson, MD.
● Out of Practice. Art Blog Art Blog, New York, NY.’;l
● CURVES. Nudashank Gallery, Baltimore MD.
● Architectonic Dreams. Lawrence Asher Gallery, Los Angeles CA.
● Academy 2010. Conner Contemporary Art, Washington DC.
● Picture Plane. Nudashank Gallery, Baltimore MD.
● Rockers and Posers. Brooklyn Artist's Gym, Brooklyn NY.
● The Big Bang. Spaces Gallery, Cleveland Ohio.
● I Think I Remember Right. Frontroom Gallery, Cleveland Ohio.
● Les Yeux du Jour. Playspace Gallery, San Francisco CA.
● Heterotopia: Sites of Culture Represented Contested and Inverted. The Cleveland Foundation,
● In The Modern World: Focus. Dwell Magazine. February 2010.
● Tangible: High Touch Visuals. Gestalten Press, Berlin.
● New American Paintings #81.